Principal Software Engineer - Backend
Momence is a next-gen booking and communications platform for experience-based businesses, such as a yoga and pilates studios, gyms, dance schools, salons and spas, golf facilities, swim schools, etc. We help thousands of businesses with scheduling and payments, communication, and automation of their business backend. We also have a customer-facing Momence app, where hundreds of thousands of customers book their wellness experiences every month.
As a remote-first company backed by Y Combinator (Summer 2020), we are revolutionizing the experience economy by providing modern software solutions to an underserved industry.
About the Team
Our backend team will be building the components and systems that allow Momence to scale and perform reliably for our users. Reducing complexity is at the core of our business model and a secure, well built infrastructure is critical to our ability to continue to grow. The team is also responsible for maintaining the server-side logic and platform that generates millions of dollars revenue for our hosts. We’re a global company in both team and customer distribution, moving fast and disrupting the status quo of what small businesses can do with software.
What will you do?
Design and build the infrastructure that powers our platform. You can expect to play a critical role in an early stage team, having an impact on the way that we scale not only our product, but our engineering culture. You will:
- Develop and maintain APIs, both internally and for the integrations ecosystem of our customer facing platform.
- Design and optimize database schemas, ensuring security and data integrity.
- Lead architectural design and contribute to code.
- Set a standard for best practices in tooling, documentation, and engineering processes.
- Work in a test driven environment, performing code reviews and ensuring code is reliable and maintainable.
- Hire, onboard, and direct a team of backend engineers as a Tech Lead
- Work closely with product engineering and company leadership to strategize and execute on an ambitious roadmap.
- Expertise in object oriented development in a high-level programming language
- Experience working with both relational and non-relational databases
- Experience leading projects and delivering high quality software in an agile environment
- Experience working in large, web-scale web backends
- BS in Computer Science or a related field
- 10+ Years of software engineering experience
- Expertise in web scale server side development and system design.
- Expertise in Typescript, React, Node.JS
- Expertise in relational databases; preferably Postgres
- You’ve been a technical lead or played a primary technical role as a manager in web scale organization
- MS, or Ph.D in Computer Science or a related field
This role is based in the US only, with a preference for the Eastern Time Zone.
All offers are contingent upon the successful completion of a background check.
At Momence, we celebrate diversity and strive to create an inclusive environment where there is respect, regardless of your background or identity. We are committed to being an equal opportunity employer and welcome you as you are.